Upon recently listening to Napoleon Hill's amazing and inspirational book, Think and Grow Rich, I found a chapter particularly useful. In this chapter, Hill talks about the 31 most common causes of failure from over 20 years of studying the world's most successful men and women from around the world.
Take a look at the below and perform an accurate and honest assessment to see which of these have affected you.
- Unfavourable hereditary background
- Lack of well defined purpose
- Lack of ambition to aim above mediocrity
- Insufficient education (and lack of application of knowledge you currently have)
- Lack of self discipline (do not let self win)
- Ill health
- Unfavourable childhood influences and upbringing
- Procrastination (the time is NEVER right...just start)
- Lack of persistence (finish what you start)
- Negative personality
- Lack of controlled sexual urge
- Desire to get something for nothing
- Lack of well defined power to make decisions
- One or more of the 6 major fears (death, old age, loss of love, ill health, criticism, poverty)
- Poor choice of life partner
- Over caution (take the chance!)
- Wrong selection of business associates
- Superstition (keep an open mind)
- Wrong selection of vocation (do what you love and love what you do)
- Lack of concentration of efforts (focus, focus focus)
- Too liberal with spending (if you're not saving, you're falling behind)
- Lack of enthusiasm
- Intemperance (stop over indulging)
- Inability to co-operate
- Possession of power given, not earned
- Intentional dishonesty
- Egotism and Vanity
- Guessing instead of thinking (use your brain and don't be lazy)
- Lack of capital
- Anything else that you have experienced, that hasn't been listed here....
In a later post I will outline a few different strategies to overcome this thinking and help to improve yourself, but for now, perform the analysis, or if you are brave enough, sit down with someone else who can offer an honest analysis with you.