Great to chat with industry legend (and funny man), Tony Gentilcore. Tony started at 13 with a weight set in his room and fell in love. From there he started pushing weights and that's where it all started.
Tony was then presented with an opportunity to become a teacher and wear a suit and tie, or become a strength coach and wear whatever he wanted.
Obviously we all know which one he chose.
After spending roughly 3 years in a corporate gym and learning the ropes, he met Eric Cressey and from there they opened up "Cressey Sports Performance" (CSP).
The facility has now been open for 7 years and is a hub for professional athletes, serious trainees and
Listen along and hear more about Tony's story including:
- Why CSP is semi private and what Tony's role is there now
- Who Tony's mentors are (these include Alywn Cosgrove, Dan John <link> Mike Robertson and more
- How Tony has crafted a unique writing style and how you can become a great writer with little or no experience
- Why you need to stop bagging out and looking down upon commercial training facilities and the opportunities they can present
- Some of the challenges of opening your own facility
- The basic principles of training an athlete
- Tony's upcoming tour of Australia (March 2014)
- What Tony calls "The Window Effect" (a really good self awareness task)
- Why too many trainers are flooding the industry and just writing workouts…not programs
- Tony's own training and what he currently deadlift (strong ass mo-fo)
- We also run through many of Tony's favourite books and what he attributes as a factor in his success.
Tony can be reached here: http://tonygentilcore.com
and one last piece of advice Tony wanted to leave with the group: "For every book you read on training or nutrition, you should be reading one on self development"
^^ I couldn't agree more.
Have a listen and I hope you enjoy.